A ratio is a comparison of two numbers.
How much sugar do you put in your favorite cookie recipe? How much flour?
In mine there are 2 cups of sugar and 5 cups flour, so the ratio of sugar to flour is 2 to 5.
I can write this 2 to 5 or 2:5
The ratio of flour to sugar is 5 to 2 or 5:2 or [Image:12102012_124238_1.png].
The last example looks like a fraction, but don’t change a ratio to a mixed number (2 ½).
Remember a ratio is the comparison of two numbers so keep them in fraction form.
If you are comfortable, try these on for size:
1. What is the ratio of one foot to inches?
2. What is the ratio of inches to one foot?
3. What is the ratio of men to women in your class or at work?
4. Simplify the ratio of 12:15
5. A class of 20 students has 12 women. (Reduce)
a. What is the ratio of the number of men to the total number of students?
b. What is the ratio of the number of men to the number of women?
c. What is the ratio of the number of women to the number of men?
6. In a bucket there are 105 what-cha-ma-call-its and 45 doohickeys.
a. What is the ratio of the number of what-cha-ma-call-its to the total number of things in the bucket?
b. What is the ratio of the number of doohickeys to the total number of things in the bucket?
c. What is the ratio of the number of doohickeys to the number of what-cha-ma-call-its?
7. From a total yearly budget of $24,000,000, Special City spends $4,000,000 on education. What is the ratio of the amount spent on education to the amount not spent on education?
8. A test of 50 questions included 15 ratio problems and 5 percentage problems. What is the ratio of the total number of fraction and decimal problems to the number of problems on the test?